Once again, another great month in terms of releases. Despite new excellent records, bands or artists such as At The Drive-In, The Charlatans or Todd Rundgren were not selected so enjoy the following great records!
Album of the month: The Afghan Whigs – “In Spades” – Soul Grunge Rock – The Afghan Whigs are one of my favourite bands ever and their come back record in 2014 (“Do To The Beast”) after a 18-year hiatus was sensational news. However, despite being very good, one was expecting an even better record for their future ventures… and “In Spades” is such a record. Greg Dulli’s voice has never sounded so good and all the songs are memorable, beautifully mixing a soul sensitivity with a grunge sound. This has always been their forte but the least one can say is that they are back to stay this time. Nice cover as well from a Brazilian artist.
- Runner-up: Mac DeMarco – “This Old Dog” – Cool Rock – The more it goes, the less Mac DeMarco should be considered as a nice and funny guy in the music industry but as a real fantastic songwriter. You will not find a cooler record to listen to during summertime but behind the easiness of the music lies fantastic songs.
- Also recommended:
- Paul Weller – “A Kind Revolution” – Mod Psychedelic Rock
- Jane Weaver – “Modern Kosmology” – Space Pop
- Benjamin Biolay – “Volver” – Bittersweet French Pop
- Slowdive– “s/t” – Shoegaze Rock
- The Mountain Goats – “Goths” – Literate Rock
- Lest we forget: album of the previous month – Kendrick Lamar – “DAMN.”