A very busy month with a few okish records from favourites (Phoenix, Sufjan Stevens) a few real disappointments (Royal Blood, Fleet Foxes, London Grammar), an awful record (DJ Khaled)..and the worst record ever made (Katy Perry). However, good news is that the selection below is pretty awesome so enjoy!
Album of the month: Ride – “In Spades” – Shoegaze Rock – Amazing really to be in a position to write that Ride’s new album is our favourite of the month but this is for real! A great balance between what they used to be and what music is now, it sounds equally retro and modern. These guys give their best when they are together. Welcome back!
- Runner-up: Lorde – “Melodrama” – Pop – 2nd album from New Zealander Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O’Connor. After shaking the world with her debut released when she was 16 (!), she is back at the ripe age of 20 with an even better second LP. Great catchy melodies, weird arrangements, very original voice, moving lyrics,… everything pop should be (and Katy Perry will never be…)
- Also recommended:
- TOPS – “Sugar At The Gate” – Canadian Power Pop
- Cigarettes After Sex – “s/t” – Ethereal Pop (..and nice band name!)
- Kevin Morby– “City Music” – Cool folk rock
- Flotation Toy Warning– “The Machine That Made Us” – Complex Radiohead-influenced rock
- Vince Staples – “Big Fish Theory” – Hip Hop
- Lest we forget: album of the previous month – The Afghan Whigs – “In Spades”